I don’t often go into the kitchen with a plan. The best dishes come together organically. This is one of those dishes:
Mushroom Pasta with Chicken
- Four chicken breasts
- One box of whole wheat spaghetti (feel free to use regular, but whole wheat is delicious in this recipe)
- One box portobello mushrooms
- One cup diced onions
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- Fresh basil
- At least 4 oz gruyere cheese
- Set chicken breasts on jelly roll pan. Rub with olive oil and salt. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- While chicken is baking, sauté mushrooms and onions in butter. Low and slow is the way to delicious mushrooms! Season to taste.
- After about half an hour, bring water to a boil for the pasta. Note: I always salt the water and add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add about a cup of chicken broth and a spoonful of flour to the mushrooms. Stir well.
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
- Drain pasta; add to mushrooms. Add additional chicken broth or butter if necessary.
- Tear fresh basil and add to the pasta.
- Grate gruyere, add to pasta.
- At this point, your chicken will be ready. Slice and add on top of pasta.
- Grate additional gruyere on top of each serving. Garnish with a sprig of basil.