Today Diner en Blanc Dallas revealed the date for its second annual event: Friday, September 30, 2016 beginning at 6:30 pm. The phenomenal pop-up Parisian dinner party first began in Paris in 1988 when François Pasquier decided to catch up with friends over dinner al fresco, asking them all to wear white and meet at a public venue. Now over 10,000 Parisians attend the annual event and the location always remains a secret until the very moment they’re to meet. It wasn’t until 2012 that Diner en Blanc International was founded by François’ son to continue his father’s tradition after he moved to Canada. Now Diner en Blanc is held in over seventy cities around the world.
Now that we know the event’s history, let’s talk Dallas, shall we? Here’s everything you need to know about Diner en Blanc Dallas 2016:
- There are 2,200 tickets available this year – up 40% from last year’s 1,600. The coveted tickets sold out in twenty minutes last year but one lucky reader of The Rose Table will have the opportunity to win an invitation to purchase tickets before the rush! I’ll announce the contest this Friday on Facebook so be sure and like The Rose Table’s Facebook page! The tickets are sold in three stages, with the interest list being the final stage. Tickets are $45 – including the $8 international membership fee – and are sold in pairs.
- It will be held at another top secret location somewhere in Dallas. Comment and let me know where you think it will be held! Last year the event took place at the Continental Avenue Pedestrian Bridge with a sweeping view of downtown Dallas and the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge. Attendees were bussed in from various pickup locations around North Texas and had no idea until they pulled up where the event would be held.
- Guests bring their own table, chairs, dinnerware, and table decor and set up all at once. Within minutes an outdoor space go from typical Friday to fabulous soiree. Anyone who loves the idea of planning their Halloween costume months in advance will have a blast planning their Diner en Blanc table and outfit.
- Southwest Airlines returns as the platinum sponsor, which means we get another souvenir napkin! The napkin wave marks the beginning of the meal at every Diner en Blanc event around the globe.
- You can pack your own picnic dinner or pre-order from their caterer, Food Glorious Food. For inspiration on what food to prepare and pack, read The Rose Table en Blanc. Recipes included!
- There are fun free photo-ops including a photo booth by Southwest Airlines and a white Mercedes-Benz provided by DFW Mercedes-Benz Dealers. And yes, you get to sit in the Mercedes!
- Guests dance the night away after dinner so be sure to wear comfortable shoes.
- The people-watching is incredible. Attendees spend months shopping for the perfect outfit and accessories. One of my favorite outfits last year included a Marie Antoinette-style wig worn by my friend Susie. I’m considering sporting an outlandish headpiece myself this year. After all, Le Diner en Blanc is the only event in Dallas where it’s appropriate to wear a giant white fascinator!
- It has the best fireworks show I’ve ever seen. Hands down! My jaw was on the bridge last year watching the incredible show by Pyrotex. The fireworks could be seen all over Dallas but the best view was, of course, at Diner en Blanc.
- The Omni Dallas Hotel has partnered with Diner en Blanc Dallas to offer a room package for Diner en Blanc guests for $209, which includes a Friday night stay, parking, and breakfast at Texas Spice on Saturday morning. The official Diner en Blanc Dallas after party will take place at “The Owner’s box” inside the Omni Dallas.
- According to The Dallas Morning News, “Diner en Blanc was one of the big foodie events of the year in Dallas, in part because of its novelty and exclusivity.” It’s not to be missed! Register for the interest list at dallas.dinerenblanc.info/register.
To read about Diner en Blanc 2015, click here. To get really excited about Diner en Blanc 2016, watch this video:
See you en Blanc!