An elegant start to a meal
Why did I ever stop cooking scallops? Scallops were actually one of the first dishes I learned how to cook in my college apartment. My mom always tossed hers in seasoned flour and it’s still how I make them today. Once you’ve had a scallop dredged in a well-seasoned flour mixture with a bit of lemon zest, you’ll never go back to just salt and pepper. They’re so tender and yummy!
Photos courtesy of Mary Anita Batchellor Photography.
The Rose Table is in no way affiliated with The Walt Disney Company.
Scallops only need four minutes to cook properly, but make sure you have a screaming hot pan before throwing in the scallops. That way you’ll end up with buttery, tender scallops that melt in your mouth. Hit those with a bit of lemon juice and there’s so much you can do with them!
I served Scallop Salad at Disney Dinners: Snow White after a dear Germany family friend, Geli, implored me to serve scallops as part of my German-themed menu. Geli has lived in Germany her whole life and said it was the most authentically German appetizer she could think of so this is for you, Geli!
6 cups baby spinach or mixed greens
1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1-2 Tbsp sesame seeds (for Heaven’s sake, don’t measure)
6 diver scallops
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp butter
White white vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Bring scallops to room temperature thirty minutes before cooking.
- Rinse and dry spinach. Toss with cherry tomatoes, sesame seeds, and white wine vinaigrette. Divide amongst six plates.
- Rinse scallops and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Whisk together flour, salt, pepper, and zest of half a lemon. Dredge scallops in flour mixture.
- Bring a cast iron skillet or nonstick skillet to smoking point over high heat. Add butter to pan and rotate pan to coat with rapidly melting butter. Set scallops in the pan and cook for two minutes. Flip and cook for additional two minutes.
- Set seared scallops on top of salad and squeeze lemon juice right on stop. Serve immediately.
White White Vinaigrette
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
Salt, pepper to taste
- Whisk together all ingredients.
Read more about Snow White: Disney Dinners here. Watch the video highlights:
Make your own magic,