Is this my new favorite cupcake recipe?! It just might be! It’s so delicious that I drove some cupcakes over for my mom to enjoy at 10 pm. I just needed someone else to experience the magic! The dark chocolate cupcakes paired with the creamiest coconut frosting with that little toasty crunch from the coconut on top is truly the most magical combination. If you love chocolate and coconut, you must try this recipe!
I always, always, always use Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder. It’s my not-so-secret ingredient. You can find it at most grocery stores and it adds such depth to baked goods. I’m also a dark chocolate gal by nature but trust me on this! If you’re wondering why my chocolate treats are always so dark, that’s why. It’s a Rose Table must.
Now, you should know something about me. I am a frosting snob. And a cake snob, actually. I am so proud of how many times people have told me that they don’t like frosting but they love my frosting. I use twice as much milk as most people for a lighter, creamier texture that’s less stick-to-your-teeth sweet. I get so many compliments on it! This coconut frosting is truly phenomenal.
It should be noted that I always pipe frosting onto cupcakes but not this time! If you hate piping, this recipe is for you. I just slathered the frosting on in a mound with a small spatula, then rolled it around in toasted coconut. So easy! These cupcakes look incredibly professional but could not be easier.
The real show-stopper here is the toasted coconut on top. Oh my word. To think I considered not toasting the coconut! Wow, wow, wow. The toasty flavor adds so much and the crunch is just perfect on the creamy, dreamy coconut frosting. Are you drooling yet? Okay, let’s go!
For the cupcakes
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dark cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s Special Dark)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup 1% milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
For the frosting:
6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tsp coconut extract
4 Tbsp milk
1 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two muffin cup pans with cupcake liners and spray each with non-stick spray.
- Combine sugar, flour, dark cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl. Add eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated. Add milk, oil and vanilla all at once and beat on medium speed of mixer about two minutes. Stir in the boiling water. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Toast shredded coconut in a nonstick skillet until slightly golden. Make coconut frosting (see below) and frost cupcakes, then immediately roll frosting in toasted coconut.
- Cream together 2 cups powdered sugar and 1 stick softened butter with an electric mixer.
- Beat in two more cups of powdered sugar and 2 Tbsp milk, then second stick of butter, remaining two cups of powdered sugar, coconut extract, and last 2 Tbsp milk. Beat until smooth. Add additional milk or powdered sugar if needed for desired consistency.