Note: this recipe was updated in October 2020 with new photos
Note: you have of course leave the chocolate chips out and have plain pumpkin bread! Another delicious addition is walnuts or pecans. However you make it, don’t skip the orange glaze. That pop of orange absolutely makes it!
This recipe makes two loaves and it freezes perfectly so every time I bake it, I put one in the freezer for a rainy day.
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread with Orange Glaze
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 15-ounce can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
2/3 cup water
3 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 9″ x 5″ loaf pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the oil, sugars, eggs, pumpkin, and water. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla, stirring to combine. Use a spoon to stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake the bread for 60 to 80 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each loaf comes out clean. (Start doing the toothpick test after 50 minutes if you have a convection oven.)
- Remove from the oven and cool the loaves on a wire rack.
- When the pumpkin bread is completely cool, make the glaze by whisking together one cup of powdered sugar and the juice of half an orange. Drizzle the glaze over the loaves and add orange zest for garnish. You can freeze one loaf (be sure to double wrap it!) but you may not have a chance before gobbling up both!
Love it? Pin it!