Looking for a snow-white cake to take to Le Diner en Blanc? You’ve come to the right place! This is a delicious white cake worthy of any gathering but is particularly appropriate for the glamorous pop-up picnic around the globe best known for the fact that its guests wear head-to-toe white ensembles. Attendees take their own table, chairs, flowers, linens, table decor, and food for a magical evening of Parisian origins.
Diner en Blanc Dallas announced its 2017 date today: Friday, October 6th. I should know, I announced it! Diner en Blanc Dallas is one of my fabulous PR clients. (Contrary to popular belief: I do not write about food for a living. I write about food for fun!) I came up with this cake recipe so that we would have something on the table at a morning show shoot about Diner en Blanc. I shared the leftovers with family and friends who all raved about the recipe so I knew I had to share it with you.
The cake uses one of my not-to-secret ingredients, Fiori di Sicilia, which truly make everything taste fancier. The orange vanilla extract gives it a subtle citrus flavor. I used two vanilla beans instead of vanilla extract so that the frosting would be snow-white but still packed with vanilla flavor. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
Diner en Blanc Cake
For the cake:
2 cups sugar
3 1/4 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, soft
1 1/4 cups milk, at room temperature
1-1/2 tsp fiori di sicilia extract
4 large farm fresh eggs
For the frosting:
6 cups powdered sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 whole vanilla beans
4 Tbsp milk
To bake the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour two 9″ round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add butter to the mixer and beat until it looks sandy.
- Combine the milk and fiori di sicilia and add to the mixer. Mix on low speed until incorporated. Don’t forget to scrape the bowl as you go!
- Crack eggs into a bowl. This way, you won’t accidentally get egg shells in your cake batter. With the mixer running on low, add eggs one at a time. Make sure each is incorporated before adding the next.
- Pour batter into your prepared cake pans. Softly bang the bottom of the pans against the countertop to help settle the batter evenly in the pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a rack to cool before removing it from the pan.
- Frost with Double Vanilla Bean Frosting (recipe below).
To make the Double Vanilla Bean Frosting:
- Cream together powdered sugar and softened butter with an electric mixer. Start with two cups of powdered sugar and half a stick of butter, alternating additions.
- Slowly incorporate vanilla, seeds from two vanilla beans, and milk. Beat until smooth. Add additional milk or powdered sugar if needed for desired consistency.
Want more Diner en Blanc recipes? Read all about The Rose Table en Blanc here.
P.S. This would be awfully adorable as cupcakes topped with fiori di sicilia eiffel tower cookies!
See you en blanc,