I’m a sucker for all things cookies ‘n’ cream. It’s my go-to birthday cake! I’ve adapted my cookies ‘n’ cream cake into cupcakes for you here. These are super moist dark chocolate cupcakes topped with Oreo cookie frosting and garnished with even more Oreos. Delicious!
The only tricky thing about these cupcakes is piping the cookies ‘n’ cream frosting. I used a very wide Wilton tip to pipe these beauties. Any decorating tip that’s too intricate is not a good fit for this particular frosting because of the cookies crumbs. I also highly recommend pulverizing the cookies in a food processor so they’re fine enough to pipe the frosting.
Don’t you just want to take a bite? This is what Oreo dreams are made of!
Cookies ‘n’ Cream Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dark cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup 1% milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
For the Oreo frosting:
6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 Tbsp milk (+1 Tbsp if your frosting is still thick)
1 tsp vanilla extract
10 chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
+ 12 chocolate sandwich cookies for garnish
To bake the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two muffin cup pans with cupcake liners and spray each with non-stick spray.
- Combine sugar, flour, dark cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl. Add eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated. Add milk, oil and vanilla all at once and beat on medium speed of mixer about two minutes. Stir in the boiling water. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Frost with cookies ‘n’ cream frosting and top each cupcake with half an Oreo cookie.
To make the cookies ‘n’ cream frosting:
- Combine sifted powdered sugar, softened butter, milk, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Mix in crushed chocolate sandwich cookies.
Love it? Pin it!
I packed these for my birthday picnic yesterday. Read about it here for picnic inspiration!