You’re going to want to bookmark this one! Here dark chocolate cheesecake is topped with pillowy almond-scented whipped cream and piled high with fresh summer strawberries and raspberries then dusted with powdered sugar.
There’s quite a bit of history to this dessert. The base of this recipe is a cheesecake that’s titled “Chocolate Cheesecake That Mom and Aunt Cat Gorged On” in my sacred blue binder. The original is just the crust and filling and suggests serving it with kiwi but you know me, I have to make every recipe my own, so I added an almond whipped cream layer and piled it high with red berries. The almond whipped cream balances and complements the deep, dark chocolate filling well.
This is a hidden recipe on The Rose Table. You may recognize this from the header of therosetable.com for the past four years and wondered where the heck that recipe was! I served this at my first ever Rose Table party, my summer garden party, and the recipe is embedded in my party article, which is how I used to write up all of my get togethers. I have finally extracted the recipe from the party post so that you can find it easier. And without further aideu, I give you a Rose Table classic.
Chocolate Cheesecake with Almond Whipped Cream
8 1/2 oz. package chocolate wafer cookies (I found organic ones at Whole Foods)
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
12 oz. package semisweet chocolate, cut into pieces
3 8 oz. packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
8 oz. sour cream
Whipped Cream Layer:
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 lbs whole strawberries, rinsed and pat dry
6 oz. raspberries, rinsed and pat dry
- In a food processor, blend cookies until fine. Add butter and blend until the consistency of wet sand. Pour into a 9″ spring form pan. Press about 2/3 of the crumbs onto the sides of the pan to within 1″ of the top. Press the remaining crumbs onto the bottom of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream together cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in cooled chocolate. Adds eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour ream and beat until smooth. Pour into crumb crust. Bake about 1 hour. Remove to wire rack and cool completely. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- With a mixer, beat whipping cream on low until thick but not in peak form. Add almond extract and powdered sugar. Continue beating on low until soft peaks form. You don’t want stiff whipped cream but rather a soft, pillowy cushion for the berries. The true test is if you pull the beaters out and the cream stays lifted. If it falls back, continue beating on low until soft peaks form.
- Remove sides of pan from cheesecake and carefully slide off of the springform bottom and onto a cake stand or serving platter. Slather almond whipped cream on top.
- Garnish with strawberries and raspberries piled ridiculously high. Dust with powdered sugar for a finished look.
Love it? Pin it!