I dream about this frosting. When I bake my favorite chocolate cake, it’s usually because I want this frosting. I use dark chocolate cocoa powder in my chocolate frosting, making it rich and super chocolatey.
There are a couple of important tips when it comes to frosting:
- Make sure your butter is soft. Cold butter will not incorporate properly and your frosting will be lumpy.
- Take the time to sift your powdered sugar. If there’s one thing in the kitchen I hate, it’s sifting because powder, cocoa powder, flour, etc always goes everywhere. I’m the messiest baker. But trust me, it’s worth it to sift powdered sugar when baking cakes to ensure you get silky smooth frosting.
- I don’t like frosting to be too heavy so feel free to add another tablespoon of milk to get a nice whipped consistency.
And now you’re ready for the best chocolate frosting of your life.
The Best Chocolate Frosting
6 Tbsp unsalted buter, softened
2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Beat softened butter until light and creamy.
- Sift powdered sugar and cocoa powder together.
- Add powder sugar and cocoa powder to butter alternately with milk, beating after each addition until smooth. Add vanilla and beat well. Add another tablespoon or two of milk if needed to achieve a creamy, whipped texture.
Love it? Pin it!