‘Tis the season for cranberry everything! I made these delightful (and easy) cranberry orange muffins for Thanksgiving brunch tomorrow, but they’d be wonderful for Christmas too. With sour cream, orange zest, fresh cranberries, and a bright orange glaze, these muffins are sure to make your morning merry and bright!
I used Fiori di Sicilia extract in these muffins, which I’ve talked about many times on The Rose Table. I get mine from King Arthur Flour. It’s the perfect stocking stuffer for foodies! It’s a fantastic orange-vanilla extract that makes everything taste fancy. If you don’t have it and want to make these muffins, substitute vanilla and orange extract as directed below. Then order some Fiori di Sicilia because this won’t be the last time a Rose Table recipe calls for it!
You don’t have to do the glaze of course but it is so, so pretty, don’t you think? Plus it makes the muffins even more orange-y. If you skip the glaze, sprinkle a bit of a sugar on top of the muffins before you bake them for a finishing touch.
Makes 18 muffins
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp Fiori di Sicilia extract*
2/3 cup full-fat sour cream
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
Zest from 1/2 an orange
1 1/2 cups fresh cranberriesOptional glaze:
3 Tbsp orange juice
1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, vegetable oil, sugar, and Fiori di Sicilia extract until sugar is mostly dissolved. Add eggs and sour cream and whisk until combined.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and orange zest. Whisk together and gently stir into wet ingredients, stirring just until combined. Add cranberries and spoon evenly into 18 muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Remove from pans and cool completely.
- Whisk together orange juice and powdered sugar to make the glaze. Drizzle the glaze on and let set for at least fifteen minutes before serving.
*If you don’t have Fiori di Sicilia, substitute 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 tsp orange extract
Love it? Pin it!