With fresh banana, pineapple bits, toasted pecans, a hint of cinnamon and cream cheese frosting, it’s no wonder Hummingbird Cake is a favorite among southern bakers! This cake magically gets even more moist and amazing day after day, making it an excellent make-ahead dessert. It’s honestly better on day three than it is the day you bake it. (And it’s damn good the day you bake it!)
This is truly a must-have recipe for cake enthusiasts. Hummingbird Cake is incredibly easy to make. There’s no separating eggs, no dirtying tons of extra dishes, no gently folding anything in. Just add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and you’re good to go.
Note: I baked this as a two layer cake and sliced those layers in half for a four-layer cake. You could bake it as a three layer cake if you prefer; just bake the layers for slightly less time.
This recipe is dedicated to my dad, because it’s one of his absolute favorite cakes.
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 large eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 (8 oz) can pineapple tidbits
2 cups chopped ripe banana
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted (plus more for garnish)
Cream cheese frosting, recipe follows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenehit. Grease and flour two 9″ cake pans.
- In a stand mixer, whisk together dry ingredients. Add vegetable oil and beaten eggs, stirring just until moistened. Stir in vanilla, pineapple (with juice – do not drain), chopped banana, and toasted pecans.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes; remove and cool completely.
- If desired, slice two cake layers half for four layers. Frost with cream cheese frosting and decorate with toasted pecans.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese, softened (full fat!)
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine cream cheese and butter until smooth. Slowly sift in powdered sugar and beat one cup at a time. Mix in vanilla extract.