If there’s one thing I know for sure, my mom makes the most incredible pie crust and luckily for all of you, she is sharing her recipe!
The method is absolutely key here so follow the instructions step by step in order. If you dump all of the ingredients in a bowl and turn on the mixer, it will not work. It’s really very simple: first whisk together flour and salt, then cut in shortening and cold butter (cut into cubes) with a pastry blender or two forks. You should have small beads of butter.
Add ice water one tablespoon at a time, stirring with a fork between each addition. The dough will come together with the last tablespoon so that you can gather it into a ball before popping it in the fridge.
You should chill the dough for at least thirty minutes before rolling it out, but you can also make the pie crust dough a day or two in advance kept chilled in the fridge.
Mama Rose Table’s Best Ever Pie Crust
FOR TWO PIE CRUSTS
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
10 Tbsp ice water
- Whisk together flour and salt.
- Cut in butter and shortening with a pastry blender or two forks.
- Add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition.
- Gather dough into a ball, wrap with Saran, and refrigerate until ready to use, at least half an hour.
- When ready to use, divide dough in half. Roll dough on a very lightly floured surface. Work quickly and don’t over handle the dough.
Watch Mama Rose Table make it: