Anyone else feel like taking a tropical vacation without paying for an expensive plane ticket? Me too! I’ve found the most gorgeous pineapple at my store the last few weeks and decided to turn one into a fun sundae. The pineapple topping is only FOUR ingredients and would be equally delicious over a waffle. Can you imagine?! Talk about brunch goals.
Anyway, back to the sundae. This is so easy to whip together. The hardest part is cutting the pineapple boat, which is actually something I do pretty often. I like whimsical dishes like that. If you’re thinking, that looks like a lot of work, then skip it! You can easily serve this sundae in a bowl. I will say though, the juice from the pineapple bowl mixes with the vanilla ice cream and it’s just divine.
Tropical Pineapple Sundae
For the pineapple topping:
1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes*
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the sundae:
2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut
2 Tbsp macadamia nuts
1/2 cup cold whipping cream
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 scoops vanilla bean ice cream (or whatever strikes your fancy)
- *If serving in pineapple, carefully cut the pineapple length-wise, a little off-center so the stalk is in tact. Use a smaller knife to cut out the center. I often use a small square spatula to cut and scoop out the center. Discard the core (it’s so tough!) and cut the remaining pineapple chunks into equal squares. Take the other 1/3 of the pineapple, cut away the rind, and cut into equal chunks. Set aside.
- Note: if you aren’t serving the sundae in a pineapple, simply peel, core, and cut pineapple into chunks.
- Toast coconut in an oven or toaster oven set to 350 degrees for a few minutes, until slightly golden.
- Pour cold whipping cream into a metal or glass bowl and whip with a metal whisk until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. (Rum extract or cinnamon would also be delicious!) Set aside.
- Start making the pineapple topping by melting butter in a sauce pan. Add brown sugar and stir until melted. Add pineapple chunks and vanilla extract and cook at a low heat until pineapple is soft, about 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. Remove from heat.
- Scoop vanilla ice cream into pineapple. Top with whipped cream, pineapple topping, macadamia nuts, and toasted coconut. Enjoy!
Love it? Pin it!