If you’re looking for a swoon-worthy cupcake, you’ve come to the right place. Deep, dark chocolate cupcakes are the perfect vehicle for my whipped nutella frosting. I dare you to stop at just one. You’ll want to eat the frosting with a spoon.
These are super simple to make. I threw the batter together while my coffee was brewing and set out butter to soften for the frosting, which takes slightly less than one small jar of Nutella. Dark cocoa powder in the cupcakes is a nice balance to the sweetness of the Nutella.
Dark Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dark cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s special dark)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup 1% milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
For the Nutella frosting:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup Nutella (or other chocolate hazelnut spread)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp milk
To bake the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two muffin cup pans with cupcake liners and spray each with non-stick spray.
- Combine sugar, flour, dark cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl. Add eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated. Add milk, oil and vanilla all at once and beat on medium speed of mixer about two minutes. Stir in the boiling water. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Frost with Nutella frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Beat softened butter with Nutella.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk, and beat until nicely whipped.
- Pipe or spread frosting on cupcakes.