I love making cake rolls. They’re so fun! This is a great cake recipe to have on hand during the holidays. The cinnamon isn’t overpowering but gives it a lovely fall, fireside feeling.
Cake rolls are not as hard as you might think. You just bake a sponge cake in a jelly roll pan, flip it upside down on a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar, roll it up, and let it cool. Then you spread a filling, roll it up, and chill it. Done!
This isn’t a terribly rich cake. I wouldn’t feel about eating this in the afternoon! It’s quite light and airy. If you want it to be more of a show-stopping dessert, frost it with the buttercream from my Buche de Noel. Otherwise sift a little powdered sugar on there and have a nice, light dessert.
Chocolate Cinnamon Cake Roll
For the cake:
1/4 cup powdered sugar
4 eggs , separated
1/2 cup granulated sugar plus 1/3 cup , divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup dark cocoa powder (I love Hershey’s special dark)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
For the Cinnamon cream cheese filling:
1 block cream cheese
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 375°F. Grease a 15.5×10.5×1-inch jelly-roll pan, line with parchment paper, and grease paper. Spread a thin towel on the counter and sprinkle with a handful of powdered sugar.
- Carefully separate eggs. Beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. In a stand mixer, beat egg yolks and vanilla on medium speed about three minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar; continue beating for two additional minutes.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Add to egg yolk mixture alternately with water, beating on low speed just until batter is smooth. Gently fold beaten egg whites into mixture with a spatula just until the batter is uniform in color. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Immediately invert onto prepared towel or parchment paper and peel off paper. Carefully roll cake with towel away from you starting at one of the narrow ends. Transfer to rack and cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat cream cheese, butter powdered sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Unroll cake, spread filling in center, roll back up, and slice the ends off. Dust with powdered sugar. Store in the fridge.
Love it? Pin it!