Inspired by Disneyland’s Peppermint Marshmallow Wands from Marceline’s Confectionery
Have yourself a Disney Christmas with a delightful treat inspired by the parks! I’ve never been to Disneyland at Christmastime (goals!) but every year I think the Peppermint Marshmallow Wands are so damn cute on Instagram. I decided to have a little Disney magic at home and recreate them! This is seriously one of my FAVORITE treats I’ve ever made.
The Wands at Disneyland have caramel AND chocolate but personally I don’t think that caramel and peppermint go together so I just did chocolate and peppermint. I used my homemade marshmallows for this recipe but you could of course use store bought marshmallows. When I was cutting my marshmallow slab into cubes, I left what would have been eight marshmallows as four long marshmallow sticks. If you’re using store bought marshmallows, stack a few on a stick.
You could use popsicle sticks but I used Christmas straws to be festive. I wasn’t sure they would be sturdy enough (they’re paper straws) but they totally worked and never bent while making these or eating them. First I crushed my candy canes, then I inserted the straws into the marshmallows, then I melted the chocolate.
Do not skip the shortening in the chocolate. Look at how glossy and luscious this chocolate it! I used baking chocolate instead of chocolate chips. If you’re reading this thinking, Oh no! I only have chocolate chips! Keep reading because this will still work, but next time, use baking chocolate. It melts so much nicer than chocolate chips. Spoon a dollop of chocolate on the marshmallow then use the back of the spoon to smooth it across. You want a pretty thin layer of chocolate here.
My mom could not get over how professional this candy was – that’s the word she kept using! The chocolate never broke off in pieces while eating it. It enrobed the marshmallows and held on to the candy cane pieces perfectly. Dark chocolate + vanilla marshmallows + cool peppermint coating Christmas perfection. I hope you love this as much as we do!
Note: I only made four pops but I had chocolate leftover. I would say this amount of chocolate makes six pops and you can easily multiply if you want more than that! I also used 3 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate and 1 oz of unsweetened chocolate and it was perfect. Super dark! But you could just use all semi-sweet baking chocolate if thats’ what you have on hand.
Peppermint Marshmallow Pops inspired by Disneyland
6 large leftover homemade marshmallows
6 popsicle sticks
4 oz semi-sweet Ghirardelli baking chocolate
2 tsp shortening
8 candy canes
- Unwrap candy canes and place in a freezer bag. Use a rolling pin to crush the candy canes into small pieces. Transfer crushed candy canes to a plate.
- Insert popsicle sticks into marshmallows. You want to go pretty much to the end so they’re as sturdy as possible.
- Set a piece of wax paper on the counter large enough to hold all of your pops.
- Finely chop baking chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl with 2 tsp shortening. Microwave at half power for about 2 minutes, stirring every 15-30 seconds until smooth and glossy.
- Pick up a marshmallow pop, hold over the bowl of chocolate, and spoon chocolate on the marshmallow, using the back of the spoon to smooth over each side, gently tapping the excess chocolate off as you go.
- Sprinkle candy cane pieces all over the chocolate. You want it pretty thoroughly coated in peppermint. Set on wax paper and repeat with remaining pops. Slide a small cookie sheet under the pops and pop in the fridge for ten minutes to set. Store at room temperature in a Ziplock bag.
Love it? Pin it!
Make your own magic,