I love, love, love this flank steak sandwich. Grill up a flank steak, then grill buttered baguette, smother it with creamy gorgonzola, top it with flank steak slices, and add a bit of arugula on top. So easy and so delicious!
My mom taught me how to grill flank steak and trust me when I say, this is the only flank steak marinade you’ll ever need. It’s gotten rave reviews from everyone who’s had it.
You want a really good chunk of blue cheese for this recipe. I like a creamy gorgonzola that’ll start melting into the baguette as soon as you smothered it on the grilled bread. Are you drooling yet?! I’m drooling.
This recipe has long been hidden in a picnic post and finally got its very own photo shoot! I can attest to the fact that it holds up well when traveling and makes a delightful picnic sandwich.
Serves 4For the flank steak:
1 pound flank steak (tenderized if available)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 or 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 rosemary sprigs
For the sandwiches:
2-3 Tbsp butter
4 oz gorgonzola, at room temperature
2 cups arugula
Olive oil, balsamic
For the flank steak:
- Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and the minced leaves of one rosemary sprig. Pour over flank steak in ziplock bag. Refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Set the bag on the counter for twenty minutes before grilling it. It’s important to let meat come to room temperature before grilling it or it won’t cook evenly.
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees. Grill flank steak for five minutes on each side. Remove from heat and set on a plate. Let rest for ten minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, grill the baguette according to instructions below.
- Thinly slice against the grain. This is the most important part of cooking flank steak! Set you knife on the flank steak. Your knife should be perpendicular to the lines running through the flank steak. Cut at an angle with a serrated knife.
For the sandwiches:
- Cut baguette into four equal pieces, then slice each in half lengthwise. Melt butter. Using a pastry brush, brush butter on inside of baguette halves. Grill inside of baguette 1-2 minutes or until slightly charred.
- Spread gorgonzola onto bottom half of baguette while warm.
- Top with flank steak slices.
- Toss arugula with sea salt, a few grinds of pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, and a smaller drizzle of balsamic. Top flank steak with arugula and enjoy!