It took me fifteen+ years but I’ve finally perfected red velvet cupcakes. This is definitively the best red velvet cupcake recipe. These cupcakes are super soft, vibrantly red, and stay fresh for days and days.
This recipe is very easy to make and the cupcakes bake up beautifully. The secret ingredient? A bit of cornstarch for a tender crumb and the most delicious cream cheese frosting. Can you tell how mouth-watering-ly tender these cupcakes are?!
I’m very proud of my cream cheese frosting. I’ve gotten so many compliments on it, often from friends who tell me they don’t normally like frosting.
You’ll want to store these in the fridge since they have cream cheese frosting but bring them to room temperature for 30-60 minutes before serving so the cake is nice and soft. While these are amazing as soon as you frost them, I was shocked at how unchanged they were days later. You know I love a good make-ahead party recipe!
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
3 large eggs
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp red food coloring
Cream Cheese Frosting, recipe follows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add cupcakes liners to two muffins pans and spray with nonstick spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, measure vegetable oil, buttermilk, eggs, white vinegar, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice. Add red food coloring and mix until uniform in color.
- Sift in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Divide evenly amongst the cupcake liners and bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool ten minutes, then remove from tins and let cool completely on wire racks. Frost with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese, softened (full fat!)
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine cream cheese and butter until smooth. Slowly sift in powdered sugar and beat one cup at a time. Mix in vanilla extract.