“The best muffin I’ve ever had.” – Mama Rose Table
Never have I ever had a more perfect muffin and believe me, I am a muffin snob. I didn’t think that my holy grail of muffins, my Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins could be beat, but yesterday I tried that recipe with a cinnamon streusel topping and wow. They’re bakery perfect!
These muffins are so moist, so rich, and so easy to make. This recipe makes 18 muffins and comes together very quickly. I used a food processor to quickly make the streusel topping but you could easily mix the ingredients with a fork instead.
These muffins are a great after-school snack or a show-stopping holiday breakfast. No matter what time of day you enjoy them, I hope you love these as much as I do!
Chocolate Streusel Muffins
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup full-fat sour cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the streusel topping:
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In a food processor, combine butter, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt until well mixed. (Note: you can also do this by hand in a bowl with a fork.) Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, vegetable oil, and sugar until sugar is mostly dissolved. Add eggs, vanilla extract, and sour cream and whisk until combined.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, dark cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together and gently stir into wet ingredients, stirring just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon mixture evenly into 18 muffin cups. Top each muffin with a spoonful of streusel, thoroughly coating each muffin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Remove from pans and cool completely or serve warm.