This is the dreamiest blueberry coffee cake! I really could not love fiori di sicilia any more. This orange-vanilla extract is positively magical. One splash and bibbidi bobbi boo, you have yourself one fancy coffee cake. You can easily bake this in an 8″ or 9″ square pan if you prefer. When I have company, I usually bake this in a round cake pan and serve on a cake plate.
As with any baked good with fruit, this will last much longer if kept in the fridge. It’s as delicious as an afternoon snack as it is for brunch or breakfast!
Don’t you just love blueberry and orange? I think that’s an underrated combination. I love to pick blueberries in east Texas in the early summer and freeze pounds of them to enjoy all year long.
For the cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup (4 Tbsp) butter
1 large egg
1/2 tsp Fiori di Sicilia extract
1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, washed and pat dry
For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 an orange
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease an 8″ square, 9″ square, or 9″ round cake pan.
- First, make the topping. Whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl. Use a pastry blender or fork to cut in cold butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, egg, and Fiori di Sicilia.
- Alternately add the milk and the flour mixture to the sugar/butter mixture, ending with flour. Gently stir in blueberries. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the topping over the batter.
- Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and let cool completely on a rack.
- Combine the juice of half an orange and one cup of powdered sugar for a glaze. (You may need to adjust the powdered sugar slightly depending on the size of the orange.) Drizzle over coffeecake and enjoy!
Update: This recipe was featured at my Brunch at the Barn! Watch the episode: