An easy, flavorful weeknight chicken dish
This dish comes together crazy fast. Twenty minutes, tops. (Just make sure you pull your chicken out of the fridge sooner. Never cook cold meat straight from the fridge.) It’s bursting with juicy mango flavor, a bit of heat from the Kumana sauce, and the freshness that comes from fresh lime juice and cilantro. This dish has a bit of Caribbean flare, and you know how much I love that.
If you don’t have bulgur wheat in the house, sub out rice or couscous. If you’re intimidated by mango, don’t be. It’s easy to slice and packs tons of nutritional value in its cute little package. I absolutely adore fruit in savory dishes and mango with chicken is one of my favorite combinations. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!
When Kumana Foods asked if they could send me their avocado sauces to play with, I didn’t know what to expect. I had never heard of the brand before but it looked intriguing. Plus I really love avocados. The Venezuelan sauce is made from creamy avocados, fresh onion, bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, and vinegar.
This stuff is good. Like, really good. As in, I texted my mom while I was eating this dish and said, “If this sauce was in a restaurant, I would be raving about how great the sauce is.” It’s fresh and flavorful and I kind of couldn’t believe it was a packaged sauce! It adds so much flavor and just a bit of heat. The Be Mango sauce is just divine drizzled* over this simple grilled chicken dish and freshly squeezed lime makes it sing. I will be making this again and again!
*Okay, you caught me. I may have smothered it in the sauce after taking the photos.
Be Mango Kumana Chicken
2 thinly sliced chicken breasts
Lime sea salt, black pepper, onion powder, dried oregano, lime zest
1/2 cup bulgur wheat (dry)
2 Tbsp Be Mango Kumana Sauce
- Combine 1 cup water and 1/2 cup dry bulgur wheat in a small saucepan. Bring water to a boil on water, turn heat to low, cover, and let cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool five minutes. Leave the saucepan covered while you make your dish.
- Rinse and pat chicken dry with paper towel. Season both sides with lime sea salt, pepper, onion powder, dried oregano, and lime zest. Drizzle with olive oil and rub.
- Grill chicken five minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. When you flip the chicken, slice an avocado in half, sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and toss skin-side-up on the grill.
- While chicken is grilling, divide bulgur wheat on two plates. Cut lime into wedges for serving. Chop a bit of cilantro. Cut mango.
- To cut a mango: slice cheeks (the wide sides) from top to bottom. Score mango like you would an avocado. Fan pieces out and slice away from skin.
- Remove avocado halves from grill, remove skins, and chop into small pieces.
- Serve chicken over bulgur wheat, top with diced mango, avocado, cilantro, and a generous drizzle of Be Mango Kumana Sauce. Squeeze fresh lime over everything.
Disclaimer: This article is intended to be a general resource. Any recommendations are based on personal opinion. A portion of this article may have been compensated but opinions are my own, always. I’m not a fan of negativity so if I don’t like something, I don’t write about it. I’m here to tell you about the best of the best!