I just adore strawberry cupcakes. They’re so moist and summery! Make these when you can get great, juicy strawberries. It will really make a difference!
Can I let you in on a secret? I’m a huge frosting snob and I really dislike buttercream frosting. It’s often too heavy and too sweet for me but this frosting is light and airy thanks to about twice the amount of milk in this recipe than most frosting recipes. Several of my friends who don’t like frosting taste tested this recipe for me and LOVED the frosting.
This is an easy one-bowl cupcake batter and one-bowl frosting recipe. Chop the strawberries nice and small so you get that burst of berry in every bite. Like any cake, don’t over bake these; start checking them with a toothpick test a few minutes before the bake time. Pull them as soon as a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
There are so many ways you could decorate these. Personally, I love pink frosting and strawberries for garnish but sprinkles are just as fun. You will want to store these in the fridge since they have fresh berries. I recommend pulling them out of the fridge at least a few minutes before you want to serve them.
2 cups sugar
3 1/4 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, soft
1 1/2 cups milk, at room temperature
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
4 large farm fresh eggs
1 ½ cups fresh strawberries, hulled, washed, dried, and chopped
For the frosting:
6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
4 Tbsp milk
To bake the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners and lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add butter to the mixer and beat until it looks sandy.
- Combine the milk and vanilla and add to the mixer. Mix on low speed until incorporated. Don’t forget to scrape the bowl as you go!
- Crack eggs into a bowl. This way, you won’t accidentally get egg shells in your cake batter. With the mixer running on low, add eggs one at a time. Make sure each is incorporated before adding the next.
- Add chopped strawberries and mix until incorporated. Don’t overmix!
- Pour batter into your prepared cake pans. Softly bang the bottom of the pans against the countertop to help settle the batter evenly in the pan.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until the a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake will come out clean.
- Remove tins from the oven and place on racks. Cool five minutes, remove from pan, and cool completely before frosting. Frost with vanilla frosting and garnish with strawberry halves. Store cupcakes in the refrigerator.
To make the Vanilla Frosting:
- Cream together powdered sugar and softened butter with an electric mixer. Start with two cups of powdered sugar and half a stick of butter, alternating additions.
- Slowly incorporate vanilla extract and milk. Beat until smooth. Use red food coloring to tint desired shade of pink. Add additional milk or powdered sugar if needed for desired consistency.
Love it? Pin it!