A 9×13 vanilla cake with chocolate chips smothered with chocolate chip cream cheese frosting
If you like easy, tender cakes that are sure to please a crowd, keep reading! This recipe is for you. As far as cakes go, this is very easy to bake. The cake is a one-bowl recipe, as is the frosting. Plus you serve it right out of the pan – no cake stand required. It doesn’t get easier than that!
The tang of the cream cheese frosting really takes this cake to another level. The cream cheese cuts the sweetness and makes the cake taste a bit like cookie dough. And it looks so darn pretty dotted with chocolate chips! Because of the frosting, you will want to keep this cake in the fridge. I recommend pulling it out at least fifteen minutes before you want to serve it.
I don’t bake a lot of 9×13 cakes – I just love how pretty layer cakes are! – but it suited this cake. If you’d rather make this recipe as a layer cake, simply pour into two greased and floured 9″ cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for fifteen minutes in the pan, then remove from pans and cool completely.
If you’re here because you love The Rose Table Disney Dinners, this cake would be PERFECT for a 101 Dalmatians/Cruella party. Just look at the black and white spots!
Chocolate Chip Cake
2 cups sugar
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, soft
1 1/4 cups 1% milk, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 cup chocolate chips
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a 9×13″ pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add butter to the mixer and beat until it looks sandy.
- Combine the milk and vanilla extract and add to the mixer. Mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Crack eggs into a bowl. This way, you won’t accidentally get egg shells in your cake batter. With the mixer running on low, add eggs one at a time. Make sure each is incorporated before adding the next.
- Toss chocolate chips with 1 Tbsp flour. Stir chocolate chips into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Softly bang the bottom of the pans against the countertop to help settle the batter evenly in the pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely in the pan. Frost with chocolate chip cream cheese frosting. Store cake in the fridge.
Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese, softened (full fat!)
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Combine cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Slowly sift in powdered sugar and beat one cup at a time. Mix in vanilla extract.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips.
Love it? Pin it!