Where has this recipe been all my life? I’ve always loved chicken piccata. It’s some of my all-time favorite ingredients: chicken, lemon, capers, garlic, and herbs. It’s so flavorful and delicious, you could easily serve this to company but it’s so quick and easy, you’ll want to make it on busy weeknights too. This recipe only takes about fifteen to twenty minutes to make!
To make things super easy, whisk together the sauce (broth, lemon juice/zest, capers) in a measuring cup and set aside. Then prep and brown your chicken, sauté garlic (two cloves for most, four cloves for garlic lovers like me), then deglaze the pan with the sauce. Simmer until the sauce reduces by half (about five minutes), then add the chicken back in. Top with a little parsley and more lemon slices and you’ve got yourself a stunning dinner.
This recipe really exceeded my expectations. It’s so simple but packs such a flavor punch. If you love lemon as much as I do, you will be a happy camper eating this delightful, cheerful dish.
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup chicken broth
1 large lemon
2 Tbsp capers, drained
Sea salt, pepper
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided use
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
Fresh Italian parsley, chopped
For serving: rice or couscous
- Zest and juice the lemon. Whisk lemon juice with chicken broth, lemon zest, and capers. Set sauce aside.
- Whisk flour with dried oregano in a shallow dish or on parchment paper.
- Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry with a paper towel. Set your hand on one chicken breast and carefully slice lengthwise to make two cutlets. Repeat with second breast. Use a rolling pin or the smooth side of a meat mallet to pound each cutlet to half an inch thick. Season each cutlet well with sea salt and black pepper, then dredge both sides of cutlets in flour-oregano mixture.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp butter in a large skillet. Add floured chicken to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side over medium-high heat until golden brown and cooked through. Remove chicken cutlets to a plate and set aside.
- Lower heat and add another tablespoon of butter to the skillet along with minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add sauce to the skillet and cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until sauce has reduced by about half. Add the chicken pieces back in and garnish with fresh Italian parsley and lemon slices. Serve with rice or couscous.