This is the perfect pasta to make in the summer when you want a quick an easy dinner that won’t heat up the house. Here my amazing homemade pesto is tossed with warm pasta and topped with the best ever grilled chicken. It’s a hit every time!
If you’ve never made my pesto before, I should tell you that it is one of the top requested things my friends ask me to make. I put it on grilled bread, I add it to sandwiches, I serve it with grilled chicken and lamb lollipops, and every time people spoon more and more pesto onto their plate. It just takes a couple minutes to make and it far superior to store bought pesto. You can read my full how to make pesto article here.
My grilled chicken is also one of the best recipes on The Rose Table. I couldn’t even count how many times in a month I grill chicken using this method! It’s so flavorful and juicy.
Perfect grilled chicken, recipe follows
1 box Rotini pasta
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup pecorino cheese
Optional: basil sprig for garnish
- Prepare and grill chicken according to directions below. Let hang out on a plate while you make the pesto pasta.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, process basil, pine nuts, and garlic in a food processor. Stream in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to your liking, then stir in cheese.
- Drain pasta and let cool for five minutes. Toss with pasta, stirring to fully coat the noodles. Sprinkle with a bit of pecorino cheese and garnish with a basil sprig and top with sliced grilled chicken.
Boneless skinless chicken breast
Dried oregano or thyme
- Preheat a charcoal or gas grill to about 350-375 degrees. Take your chicken out of the fridge about twenty minutes before you want to grill. You never want to cook meat straight from the fridge!
- Rinse the chicken breasts and pat dry with a paper towel. Set your palm on each chicken breast and carefully run a knife through the center parallel to your hand to slice each breast in half for thinner, faster cooking cutlets.
- Season chicken well on both sides with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano or dried thyme, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper.
- Drizzle cutlets with olive oil on both sides, rubbing the olive oil and spices in.
- Grill cutlets for 5 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Let rest for five minutes before slicing and serving.