My friend Jason is always asking me for more Crockpot recipes you could can thank him for these phenomenal Slow-Cooker Short Ribs.
I had some short ribs in my freezer with zero plan on how to use them. I did a brief search online and not a single recipe even came close to what I was picturing for this dish. So I just winged it and hoped for the best and oh my gosh, these were better than the three short rib dishes I ordered at restaurants this fall by far. They’re melt-in-your-mouth tender with an incredible flavor! I couldn’t wait to share the recipe with you.
These are perfect served with mashed potatoes. I’m including my mashed potato recipe below. I hope you love this easy recipe as much as I do!
Note: like many Crockpot recipes, you’ll want to start this in the morning. With just five minutes of prep and all day to hang out in the Crockpot, you won’t believe how flavorful and delicious these short ribs are!
Slow-Cooker Short Ribs
3-4 short ribs
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 yellow onion, sliced
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 cup boiling water
1 beef bouillon cube
For serving: mashed potatoes, herbs
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Dredge in all-purpose flour. Heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil in a skillet. Brown short ribs for two minutes on each side.
- Set onion slices and garlic in the bottom of a slow cooker. Set browned short ribs on top and add the tomatoes. Dissolve beef bouillon cube in boiling water, then add broth to slow cooker. Put the lid on and cook on low for 8-9 hours, until short ribs are tender. Give the broth a taste and add a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Serve short ribs with mashed potatoes with crockpot sauce spooned on top.
Mama Rose Table’s Mashed Potatoes
2 medium Yukon gold potatoes
Spoonful sour cream
2 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp butter
- Put potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, cover pot, and boil until potatoes are fork tender, about 30-45 minutes depending on the size. Do not rush this step!
- Drain the water from the pot, return potatoes to the pot, and put the lid on for five minutes.
- Transfer potatoes to a bowl and use an electric mixer to beat potatoes with sour cream, milk, and a bit of softened butter. Be careful not to over mix the potatoes! You want them nice and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Watch me make it: