Looking for the perfect sweet treat for your Kentucky Derby party? Make my Chocolate Mint Julep Cupcakes!
It’s no secret that I love horses and bourbon and have literally been dreaming up the perfect Mint Julep Cupcake for you guys for the past year! I settled on chocolate bourbon cupcakes topped with a delicious Mint Julep frosting and garnished with fresh mint sprigs for a treat that’s as pretty as it is delicious.
There are 2 tablespoons of bourbon in the cupcakes for a kiss of bourbon flavor but if you want them extra bourbon-y, brush the warm cupcakes with bourbon when you remove them from the pans. Both ways are delicious!
Note: I always, always, always bake with Hershey’s Dark cocoa powder, which is why all of my chocolate treats are so dark and delicious.
The frosting isn’t too sweet and has both mint and vanilla to mimic more of that Mint Julep flavor rather than a straight peppermint frosting you might have during the holidays. I’m so happy with how it turned out! I hope you love it.
Looking for a classic Mint Julep drink recipe? Get mine here or try my Whiskey Smash. Find tons more Kentucky Derby party ideas and recipes here.
Chocolate Mint Julep Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dark cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s Special Dark)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup 1% milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsp bourbon
1 cup (minus 1 Tbsp) boiling water
Optional: 1/4 cup bourbon for brushing
Mint Julep Frosting, recipe follows
Mint sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two muffin cup pans with cupcake liners and spray each with non-stick spray.
- Combine sugar, flour, dark cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl. Add eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated. Add milk, oil and bourbon all at once and beat on medium speed of mixer about two minutes. Stir in the boiling water. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Optional: if desired, brush warm cupcakes with a bit more bourbon. Cool completely.
- Frost as desired with Mint Julep Frosting. Optional: garnish with fresh mint sprigs.
For the Mint Julep Frosting:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 Tbsp milk
Garnish: fresh mint
- Beat butter with electric mixer until nice and fluffy. Beat in two cups of powdered sugar until incorporated, then add peppermint and vanilla.
- Beat in two more cups of powdered sugar until combined. Add a tablespoon of milk and final cup of powdered sugar. Beat in another tablespoon of milk. Add more powdered sugar or milk as needed to reach your desired consistency.