In case you were wondering, yes, this is my dream Saturday. Today my friends Jen and Joseph joined me at Black Star Sport Horses for a picnic while we watched the annual Tejas Carriage Association combined driving event. I absolutely adore carriage driving. After all, what could be a better way to exercise your horse than wearing a gown and oversized hat?
The menu was simple. Joseph brought mixed berries, fruit salad, and delicious Terra sweet potato chips. Jen brought the wine, including the most enchanting bottle by Once Upon a Vine. This is the most me label I’ve ever seen. My loyal readers know how much I adore a touch of whimsy in everything!
I brought flank steak and gorgonzola sandwiches (the fourth being for my trainer, Jessica) on grilled baguette. The recipe is simple:
Flank Steak and Gorgonzola Baguette Sandwiches
1 pound flank steak, marinated
1/2 stick butter
4 oz gorgonzola, at room temperature
2 cups arugula
Olive oil, balsamic
- Prepare flank steak according to this recipe, grilling 5 minutes per side. Allow to rest ten minutes. Thinly slice against the grain.
- Cut baguette into four equal pieces, then slice each sandwich lengthwise.
- Melt butter. Using a pastry brush, brush butter on inside of baguette halves. With grill still one, grill 1-2 minutes or until slightly charred.
- Spread gorgonzola onto bottom half of baguette.
- Top with flank steak slices.
- Toss arugula with sea salt, a few grinds of pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, and a smaller drizzle of balsamic.
- Top flank steak with sea salt.
- Wrap tightly and take to your picnic!
After our sandwiches, fruit, and chips, we enjoyed a two-layer pumpkin sandwich cake with cream cheese filling and dark chocolate ganache. The recipe isn’t a Rose Table original, but you can find it from Better Homes and Gardens here. I was going to make up a new cake for this picnic but honestly I’ve just been craving this BHG perfection lately!
We had a perfect view of the cones course from our little hill. I especially loved the Friesian pair but, then again, I’m partial to Friesians in general.
Big thank you to Jen and Joseph for making this afternoon so delightful!
Want to see the fun for yourself? Head to Black Star Sport Horses tomorrow at 9 am to catch the cross country action! The marathon only goes until 12 or 1 (whenever the last horse finishes) so be sure to get there early. Not free this weekend? Like Black Star Sport Horses on Facebook to stay in the loop for future events.
Before we go, here’s a few iPhone photos we took with my two horses, Prince and Wendy, after picnicking for a few hours:
Happy horsing around,