Fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside
In general, I don’t love potato recipes that start with boiling water and end with a second process. It just seems like a ton of work compared to rosemary roasted potatoes or grilled potatoes. One bite of these changed my mind. They’re out of this world. They’re crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and packed with garlicky goodness.
I came up with this recipe for my Frozen dinner party. I knew I wanted potatoes because that’s a popular side dish in Norway. I settled on smashed potatoes when I realized I could squeeze in a Hidden Mickey with a flat potato.
I suppose you could use another cheese but gruyere is just so sexy. Can cheese be sexy? I think so. I mean, just look at French onion soup! I’m getting off track here. My point is, these are sexy potatoes. This recipe can also easily be cut in half.
The Rose Table is in no way affiliated with The Walt Disney Company.
Gorgeous photos courtesy of My Curly Adventures.
Garlic Smashed Potatoes
18 small red or yellow potatoes
1/2 Tbsp salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup freshly grated Gruyere cheese
2 Tbsp chives
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
- Set potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring water to a boil with 1/2 Tbsp salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender. Remove from heat and drain water.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter and garlic. Pour half over potatoes and toss to coat. Transfer potatoes to prepared pan. Use a glass to carefully flatten each potato to about ½” thickness. Drizzle remaining garlic butter on top. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake about 30-35 minutes, flipping once, until brown and crispy. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup freshly grated cheese. Roast for another 2 to 3 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with chopped chives.*
*My chives were bad – whoops – so I subbed out Italian parsley for my Frozen dinner party.
Read more about my Norwegian menu and Frozen dinner party here. Watch my Frozen video: