If you’re looking for a delicious, inexpensive way to feed a crowd, you’ve come to the right place. My pork carnitas perfume the house all day and easily serves ten.
Photography by Darling Photography
You’ll want a bone-in pork shoulder for this, about four pounds. The bone gives it extra flavor and the meat falls right off so all you have to do is pull it out of the crockpot with tongs. So easy!
My rub is a mixture of brown sugar, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, oregano, and a little olive oil to bind it together. The rub takes just a few minutes to whisk together and pat on the pork shoulder.
Then all you have to do is toss the pork in your slow cooker with some orange juice, lime juice, onion, and garlic and let it hang out for ten hours. That’s right – ten hours! Plan accordingly. I made this in my pajamas while I was drinking coffee.
Right before serving, pull it apart with two forks and fry the pork in three batches for crispy edges. Serve in flour tortillas with avocado slices, cojita cheese, and cilantro. It’s great with my Black Bean and Corn Salad on the side.
I served pork carnitas family style at Disney Dinners: Coco and let guests build their own tacos. I hope you love this as much as my guests did!
4 lbs bone-in pork shoulder
1 onion, cut in half
6 cloves garlic, whole
Vegetable oil for frying
Serving suggestion: flour tortillas, cheese, avocado slices, lime wedges, cilantro
For the rub:
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp Brown sugar
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp cumin
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
- Take pork out of refrigerator. Rinse in cold water and pat dry with paper towel.
- Mix rub ingredients in a small bowl with a fork. Rub all over pork, including the sides.
- Place pork in slow cooker with garlic and onion. Squeeze juice from two oranges and a lime over the meat and cook on low for 10 hours until tender enough to shred.
- Shred right in the Crockpot using two forks. Fry pork in a skillet over medium heat with 1 Tbsp vegetable oil until crisp on one side.
- Serve in tortillas with cheese, cilantro, avocado slices, and lime wedges.
Love it? Pin it!
Don’t forget to follow/like The Rose Table on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram! Sign up for The Rose Table’s emails here. Shop The Rose Table here. Follow my blog with Bloglovin.
2 Comments Add yours