Spiced chicken glazed with honey
If you’re looking for an easy chicken recipe that tastes fancy, you’ve come to the right place. My Persian Chicken is spiced with tumeric, paprika, garlic powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg and drizzled with local honey for the last few minutes of cooking. It tastes so elegant but is easy enough for a quick weeknight dinner. This and my Jeweled Jasmine Rice can be done in about 20 minutes.
I served this dish at Disney Dinners: Aladdin and one of my guests, Heath, described it as “fun and cool.” I love that!
The Rose Table is no way affiliated with The Walt Disney Company
I was originally going to use an airline chicken breast, a cut that include skin-on chicken breast, a chicken tender, and a wing. Long story short, this ended up being The Great Chicken Saga of 2018. I originally tested this with an airline breast that I had in my freezer, purchased at my local farmers market. I could not find this cut again to save my life and the farmers market, sadly, only runs in the summer time in my town.
I thought about contacting the farm to pick up the chicken but then I realized, if I couldn’t find the airline cut at any of my fancy grocery stores in Dallas, my readers probably also would have a hard time finding the cut and the whole point of Disney Dinners is that they can be recreated by my readers. So I went with a skin-on chicken breast. More traditional to Persian cooking would be dark meat, but I’m not a fan and this is my kitchen. If you are so lucky to find an airline cut, you will likely need to up the cooking time to 20-25 minutes.
I also want to make a note about cooking chicken breast. It is almost always too thick so I typically cut it in half lengthwise and save half in the freezer for later. Otherwise chicken takes 45 minutes to cook and in my opinion, loses the texture I want. I often get chicken from my farmers market and don’t have to do that because it’s much smaller. I cut these pieces in half and they were still huge. Don’t be afraid to slice yours! It’ll turn out better in the long run.
Note: I tripled this recipe for that dinner party. I’ve written it here for two.
2 skin-on chicken breasts
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Saffron sea salt
1 whole nutmeg for grating
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp local honey
- Rinse chicken and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Combine paprika, turmeric, garlic powder, a dash cinnamon, and a bit of freshly grated nutmeg in a small bowl.
- Season with saffron sea salt and seasoning mixture on both sides.
- Heat vegetable oil in an electric skillet preheated to 350 degrees.
- Cook chicken skin-side down for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 325. Cook for five more minutes. Flip chicken and cook for five minutes minutes for until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees. Spoon 1 tsp honey over each piece of chicken for the last few minutes of cooking.
- Sprinkle with fresh dill and serve with jeweled jasmine rice.
Learn more about Disney Dinners: Aladdin here. Watch the video highlights:
Make your own magic,