Scones are so quintessentially British, aren’t they? So of course I had to serve some at Disney Dinners: Mary Poppins Returns! I already had four variations of this buttermilk scone here on The Rose Table but came up with a brand new one for this tea. I chose lavender to represent Mary Poppins, who is such a calm, soothing presence.
The Rose Table Disney Dinners: Mary Poppins Returns is sponsored by Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns, out on Digital March 12 and blu-ray March 19, 2019.
These are simple to make. You scoop the dough onto cookie sheets like drop cookies, sprinkle with a bit of raw sugar (your friends will think you’re terribly fancy if you do this) and voila, the oven turns the scoops into proper English scones.
Don’t fret about the lavender. You can buy a huge bag on Amazon for cheap and enjoy lavender baked goods for years to come. Just make sure it’s a culinary grade product. I’m linking the lavender I used below. The lavender doesn’t overpower the scone at all. It just gives it that hint of softness and makes it taste so fancy, like a proper tea pastry.
The batter will seem tough. You’ll mix it together (start with a spatula then switch to a wooden spoon) and think, “This isn’t going to work. Why do I read this blog? Why do I trust The Rose Table? There’s no way these are turning into pastry pillows.” Trust me, I think that every single time I bake real english buttermilk scones, especial when I pull them out of the oven and they’re all craggy. But I promise, you’ll slice one in half, slather it with butter and jam or clotted cream and lemon curd and your faith in me will be restored.
Lastly, make nine scones. Exactly nine. It’s slightly more than a quarter cup of batter per scone. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until slightly golden. They’ll be practically perfect in every way.
Lemon Lavender Buttermilk Scones
(Makes 9 scones.)
3 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
zest of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp food grade lavender
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Raw sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease two cookie sheets.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and dried lavender.
- Incorporate the butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry blender or spatula. Mix until well-combined. (Some lumps are okay.)
- Whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring gently until just combined. (Don’t beat the mixture or your scones will be tough.)
- Using a 1/4-cup measuring cup, scoop dough onto two lightly greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet. (The rounds should look similar to large cookies about to go in the oven.) Sprinkle scone dough with raw sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until they’re golden brown. Serve warm with clotted cream and lemon curd.
Read more about Disney Dinners: Mary Poppins Returns here. Watch the video highlights: