An easy, healthy weeknight dinner
People overthink lettuce wraps. This is a simple recipe, like most recipes on The Rose Table, but it packs a lot of flavor punch. The peanut sauce will knock your socks off!
You could add rice to this if you want, or serve it on the side. The key here is to have real well seasoned chicken and the delicious peanut sauce. I made this for my friend Irene, who kept raving about how delicious the chicken was. If you start with really great chicken, you’re well on your way to a great meal.
I like working with chicken tenders. It’s my preferred cut of chicken because it thaws fast and it’s quick to slice for any type of stovetop recipe. You could also use chicken cutlets or chicken breasts that you slice in half lengthwise. The point is that you want small pieces of chicken that will quickly cook up.
This whole dinner probably takes fifteen minutes to make. Maybe even just ten. I imagine it would be fun for kids too, who could help you build the lettuce wraps! My mom always let me “help” in the kitchen and I slowed her down quite a bit but, hey, look at me now. I cook for her all the time so it paid off!
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Makes 8 wraps
8 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves, thoroughly rinsed and dried
1 lbs organic chicken tenders or chicken cutlets
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 small avocados
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1 tsp sesame seeds
4 green onions
Peanut sauce, recipe follows
- Rinse chicken tenders and pat dry. Cut into bite-size pieces. Mix together 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp sea salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Toss chicken pieces with seasonings in a bowl.
- Cook seasoned chicken in 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil over medium heat until nicely golden.
- While the chicken is cooking, fan out lettuce leaves on a serving board. Thinly slice green onions and cut avocados into slices.
- Spoon cooked chicken into lettuce cups. Add avocado slices, shredded carrots, and a sprinkling of sesame seeds and green onions to each wrap. Serve with peanut sauce.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Keep leftovers in a jar in the fridge.