Love a good mint julep? Then you’ll love this dessert!
I turned my love of mint juleps into a brownie dessert for my Kentucky Derby Party. Dark chocolate mint bourbon brownies are topped with bourbon whipped cream and drizzled* with dark chocolate mint hot fudge sauce.
*I use the term drizzled lightly here, as we then smothered the brownies with additional sauce after I took pictures.
Who says brownies can’t be an elegant dessert? Cut them into rounds, pipe whipped cream on top, and drizzle a decadent sauce and voila, a dessert ready for guests. Or smother the whipped cream on a whole pan of brownies and drizzle with sauce. I won’t tell a soul!
Like many Rose Table recipes, this recipe builds upon itself. Don’t been intimidated when you see the individual parts. The mint hot fudge sauce, for instance, keeps for months in the fridge so you can make a batch right now and have it ready to go for whenever a Mint Julep Brownie craving strikes. The sauce is also incredible served warm over ice cream!
I’m a huge fan of freshly whipped cream. It’s kind of my thing. I make it in all sorts of flavors and because I sweeten mine with powdered sugar, it keeps for days without falling. (Literally!) I made the sauce weeks before the party, baked the brownies the day before the party, whipped the cream that morning, cut the brownies into rounds, piped the whipped cream on top, and the only thing left to do when my guests arrived was warm up a bit of sauce to drizzle on the plate. So simple!
Mint Julep Brownies
2/3 cup dark cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chip (I love Ghirardelli)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 Tbsp bourbon
1/16 tsp peppermint oil
3 large farm fresh eggs
Bourbon whipped cream, recipe follows
Dark chocolate mint fudge sauce, recipe follows
Mint sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 9″ square metal pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dark cocoa powder, sugars, salt, flour, and chocolate chips.
- Add the vegetable oil, bourbon, eggs, and peppermint extract, mixing just until combined.
- Spoon the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies and beginning checking for doneness at 20 to 25 minutes for the 9″ pan and 25 to 30 minutes for the 8″ pan. You want these really fudge-y so don’t over bake them! Pull out when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and let cool completely before cutting into rounds with a biscuit cutter. Pipe on bourbon whipped cream (recipe follows) and drizzle with dark chocolate mint fudge sauce (recipe follows).
Bourbon Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp Bourbon
1 tsp vanilla
- Beat heavy cream with a metal whisk in a metal bowl until it starts to thicken. Add remaining ingredients and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Do not over mix.
Dark Chocolate Mint Hot Fudge Sauce
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
5 oz semi-sweet Ghirardelli chocolate, finely chopped, divided
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 tsp mint extract
- Combine the cream, corn syrup, sugar, cocoa, and 3 oz chocolate in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer on low, stirring, for 3 to 5 more minutes after everything has melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, mint extract, and remaining chopped chocolate, stirring until smooth.
- Cool for about fifteen minutes. You can keep the leftovers in a jar in the fridge for several months. Delicious over ice cream!
Read more about my Kentucky Derby Party here. Watch the episode:
UPDATE: Watch me make this recipe on Good Day Fox 4!
Run for the roses,