Gruyere, bacon, and caramelized onions. Does it get sexier than that?
This is the tart for people who think they can’t make tarts. That’s right, it’s a total cheat. It uses a sheet of puff pastry for easy entertaining. Simply top with caramelized onions and gruyere cheese, pop in the oven until the cheesy is melted, then top with crispy bacon and a sprinkling of fresh rosemary and you have one hell of an appetizer.
I came up with this appetizer for my SIX the Musical party as my dish inspired by Katherine Howard, the *sexy* queen. I thought, what’s the sexiest dish I can think of? and I combined four of my favorite things on puff pastry. This would be great as a first course served with salad, cut into bites at a party, or cut in large pieces for a small gathering, as I’ve done here.
Aside from taking the time to caramelize onions (which is as easy as leaving them on low and forgetting about them), this is a sprinkle-and-bake dish that takes little effort. It’s been a hit every time I’ve served it so I hope you love it as much as my friends do!
A Sexy Little Tart
1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
2 large (or 3 small) yellow onions
2 Tbsp butter
4 oz block gruyere cheese
2 strips cherrywood smoked bacon
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- Melt butter in a pot. Thinly slice onions and toss with butter. Cook on a very low setting for an hour and a half or until beautifully caramelized.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out a puff pastry sheet with a rolling pin so there aren’t any creases. Prick all over with a fork. This is very important – you need the steam to have a way to escape or the tart will puff up too much.
- Top puff pastry with caramelized onions and grated gruyere cheese leaving a half inch edge.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tart starts to brown.
- While the tart is in the oven, cut bacon into lardons and fry until crispy.
- Remove tart from oven and top with bacon and fresh rosemary. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Love it? Pin it!
Read more about my SIX the Musical party here. Watch the episode:
Make your own magic,