Just in time for Saint Patrick’s Day!
Love Irish Cream? Same! Especially when Irish Cream frosting is lovingly spread all over a dark chocolate cake. I started baking this cake when I was just twenty-one years old. This cake is a classic at The Rose Table so it’s funny that I’ve never published it before. I suppose because I usually bake this for my friends, and it would be terribly rude to slice into a cake before handing it over!
I think we can all agree that one of the tastiest treats to come out of Ireland is Bailey’s Irish Cream. A little goes a long way to flavor this cake. In fact, there isn’t any in the cake itself, just the frosting. It’s the perfect hint of Irish Cream. Just look at how glossy the frosting is!
I hope you love this easy cake as much as I do.
Bailey’s Chocolate Cake
For the cake:
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup 1% milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Bailey’s Irish Cream Frosting:
6 Tbsp unsalted buter, softened
2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
3 Tbsp milk
3 Tbsp Bailey’s Irish Cream
To bake the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9″ cake pans. Coat with cocoa powder the way you would typically flour pans.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, dark cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl. Add eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated. Add milk, oil and vanilla extract all at once and beat on medium speed of mixer about two minutes, stopped once to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Genty stir in the boiling water. Divide batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Frost with Bailey’s Frosting and enjoy!
To make Bailey’s Irish Cream Frosting:
- Beat softened butter. Beat in powder sugar and cocoa powder alternately with milk. Add Bailey’s Irish Cream and beat until smooth.