These festive cupcakes could not be any cuter! One bite of these magical Mickey Christmas Cupcakes and you’ll feel like you’re strolling down Main Street towards your favorite castle.
These moist dark chocolate cupcakes are topped with peppermint swirl frosting and Christmas Oreo “Mickey ears.” There’s something so fantastic about Oreos sitting in frosting overnight. They get so soft – like cake! You can eat the cupcakes right away but in my opinion, they’re even better the next day when the Oreos have softened into little Oreo cakes. Yum!
Now, I did a fancy swirled peppermint frosting but you could of course keep the frosting white and maybe add some crushed peppermint on top if you prefer.
Mickey Christmas Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dark cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s Special Dark)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup 1% milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Peppermint frosting, recipe follows
48 Christmas Oreos
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two muffin cup pans with cupcake liners and spray each with non-stick spray.
- Combine sugar, flour, dark cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl. Add eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated. Add milk, oil and vanilla all at once and beat on medium speed of mixer about two minutes. Stir in the boiling water. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Make peppermint frosting (see below) and, if desired, tint half red. Set a piece of cling wrap on the counter and spread the frosting on the cling wrap side-by-side as shown in the photos above. Roll up like a tube and put the whole tube inside a large pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Frost as you normally would, then immediately stick Christmas Oreos into the sides of the frosting for Mickey ears.
6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1.4 tsp peppermint extract
4 Tbsp milk
- Cream together 2 cups powdered sugar and 1 stick softened butter with an electric mixer.
- Beat in two more cups of powdered sugar and 2 Tbsp milk, then second stick of butter, remaining two cups of powdered sugar, peppermint extract, and last 2 Tbsp milk. Beat until smooth. Add additional milk or powdered sugar if needed for desired consistency.