Do you ever crave something you’ve never eaten? I do all the time! I rarely experiment when I have guests coming over but I really wanted to try grilled bell peppers and asparagus in an orzo shrimp salad for The Rose Table en Blanc and it was hands-down one of the best dishes I’ve ever whipped up.
Photography by Katie Nixon Photography + my iPhone.
1.25 lbs grilled shrimp (recipe follows)
3/4 cup orzo, cooked according to package directions
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2.5-3 lemons)
1/2 cup olive oil
3/4 lbs asparagus
2 bell peppers
4 green onions, chopped
1 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 cup basil, torn
Salt, pepper to taste
8 oz Feta cheese
5 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (I always use cherrywood smoked bacon)
- Cook orzo according to package directions; drain.
- Toss orzo with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Grill shrimp according to recipe below.
- Cut bell peppers into thick slices and scrape out seeds. Toss with a bit of olive oil.
- Bend asparagus in half until it snaps. Snap the tough ends off of all asparagus; discard tough ends. Toss asparagus with olive oil.
- With your grill still hot from the shrimp, grill asparagus and bell pepper slices until nicely charred. Chop grilled asparagus and bell peppers.
- Toss asparagus and bell peppers with orzo, green onions, parsley, basil, salt, pepper, crumbled feta, and crumbled bacon.
- Gently fold in shrimp. Chill at least a few hours or overnight. Serve chilled.
1.25 lbs peeled, deveined shrimp (tales on)
2 tsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter, melted
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Toss shrimp with olive oil and salt. Gently thread onto well-soaked wooden skewers. (The skewers will catch on fire if they haven’t been soaked in water for hours.)
- Grill about five minutes, turning once, or until shrimp turns pink.
- Whisk together 1 Tbsp melted butter and the juice of half a lemon. Remove shrimp from grill and brush both sides with lemon-butter. Immediately sprinkle with chopped parsley.
This dish was originally served at my Le Diner en Blanc-inspired dinner party. Read more about The Rose Table en Blanc here.
Love it? Pin it!