It’s my mom’s birthday today and I wanted to whip her up something special for breakfast. She requested blueberry pancakes and mentioned that she still had her mother’s recipe for buttermilk pancakes. This is particularly special because I never had the pleasure of meeting my grandmother. My mom lost her to cancer when my mom was just a teenager. I jumped at the chance to serve her favorite childhood pancakes for her birthday!
Because I’m me and I can’t follow a recipe without tweaking something, I added lemon zest, raspberries, and blueberries. You can follow the original recipe or use my additions. Either way will be delicious! These are fluffy on the inside with crispy edges. This batter comes together in mere minutes so if you have buttermilk in the house, give them a try!
Berry Buttermilk Pancakes
Makes 7-8 pancakes
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tbsp shortening, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Zest from 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup raspberries
- Beat egg.
- Add remaining ingredients in order listed, beating with a wire whisk after each addition.
- Stir in lemon zest, blueberries, and raspberries.
- Grease heated griddle or electric skillet.
- Use a 1/3 measuring cup to pour batter evenly onto hot skillet.
- Turn with spatula when bubbles appear.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup.
Happy birthday, mum!