These handheld treats as fun to make as they are to eat!
This is for all my Disneyland fans out there. I was determined to serve bread cones stuffed with mac ‘n’ cheese at Disney Dinners: Cars because the Cozy Cone Motel serves up bread cones at the park. These are so fun to make and absolutely fantastic to eat!
The Rose Table is in no way affiliated with The Walt Disney Company.
Photography courtesy of My Curly Adventures.
I stuffed these with my Crockpot Bacon Mac ‘n’ Cheese but you could really have some fun stuffing these babies. They’re completely solid and will hold liquid if you roll them correctly, so you could serve chili, taco meat, broccoli cheddar soup, or whatever you want in these babies! They can be held and eaten upright, as you would at the park, or you can eat them with a knife and fork. They’d even be great warm from the oven with whipped cream spread inside or leftover with lunchmeat and cheese. The sky is the limit for these fun cones!
4 cups bread flour
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup warm water (100-110 degrees)
1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
2/3 cup milk, warm
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
Sesame seeds, flax seeds
Serving suggestion: stuff with bacon mac ‘n’ cheese, chili, lunchmeat and cheese, chicken salad, scrambled eggs
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and salt. Whisk active dry yeast into warm water until dissolved.
- Add yeast mixture to flour mixture along with two eggs and warm milk and mix together. Knead in melted butter until dough is smooth. Cover bowl with a clean towel and set in a warm place to rise for one hour or until doubled in size.
- If making cones, make them while the dough is rising by curling computer paper in to a cone shape and thoroughly wrapping with aluminum foil. Set paper in front of you lengthwise and roll left to write starting from about 1/3 of the way in on the bottom. Cover with foil, making sure that no paper is exposed.
- When dough has doubled in size, punch down and divide into eight pieces on a floured surface. Let rest five minutes. Roll into 30″ ropes. Pick up a cone mold – homemade or purchased – and set on the point of a cone. Carefully roll the cone towards the rope, overlapping the dough slightly so that there are no gaps. Set on jelly roll pan or cookie sheets and let rest for twenty minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush cones with beaten egg and sprinkle flax seeds and sesame seeds on the outside for crunch.
- Bake 15-18 minutes. Let cool just for a few minutes and then remove cone from center. Do not let them cool completely on the cone or it will be difficult to remove it.
- Fill with mac ‘n’ cheese, taco ingredients, lunch meat and cheese, chili, or whatever else you can think of!
Some action shots making the dough and rolling them into cones:
Read more about Disney Dinners: Cars here. Watch the video highlights: