I’ve made so many versions of this over the years but this is the best. It’s creamy, with a bright flavor from the fresh herbs and sun-dried tomatoes, and the chicken is so tender. Throw in some bacon and it’s over-the-top delicious. I’ve also added spinach to this in the pasta, which is also delicious!
The whole dish comes together so quickly, about fifteen minutes. I like to start my onions and bacon before boiling the water. By the time the water comes to a boil and I cook the pasta, the sauce is done. It’s minimal effort and maximum flavor, my favorite kind of dinner!
Sun-dried Tomato Chicken & Bacon Pasta
1/2 box penne
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1 pound chicken tenders, cut into pieces
3 sprigs oregano, 2 sprigs basil
1/4 cup sun dried tomato
2 thick-cut bacon strips
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Boil water for pasta. Cook according to package Instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, cut two strips of bacon into lardons and cook until crispy.
- In a large skillet, cook onion in butter and olive oil until slightly browned. Seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Add chopped oregano and cook over medium low heat, turning every couple of minutes. Once chicken is cooked through, raise the heat to brown the chicken.
- Add a ladle-full of pasta water to deglaze the skillet. Lower heat, add cream, sun-dried tomatoes, chopped basil, and Parmesan cheese. Let cook and thicken until pasta is ready.
- Drain pasta, then add to skillet with the bacon and serve immediately.
This would be delicious with my rosemary focaccia.
Love it? Pin it!