Don’t you just love a brownie mix hack? Photos don’t even do these gorgeous brownies justice. A cheesecake layer is swirled with brownie mix and puréed raspberries for a delicious chocolate treat bursting with berry goodness.
Mix brownie mix according to package directions, reserve 1/4 cup of batter, and pour the rest in baking pan. Then mix up room temperature cream cheese (never try to use cold cream cheese – it won’t blend properly) with sugar, an egg, and vanilla and pour on top, carefully spreading the cheesecake layer over the brownie layer.
Purée fresh raspberries with a bit of sugar. You can spoon it on like that or strain the seeds (like I did). Drop spoonfuls of the reserved brownie mixture and raspberry purée onto the cheesecake layer. Use a chopstick or knife to swirl the brownie mixture with the cheesecake mixture for a beautiful design. Throw it in the oven and you’re done!
These do need to cool completely and chill so plan accordingly. I recommend baking these in the morning to serve that afternoon or evening. You also need to store them in the fridge due to the cheesecake layer. I hope you love these as much as I do!
1 brownie mix (I use Ghirardelli) + ingredients for mix (1 egg, water, vegetable oil)
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raspberries
1 Tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray an 8″ square pan with nonstick spray.
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup of brownie mix for the topping. Pour the rest of the brownie mix into prepared pan.
- Beat cream cheese, granulated sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Pour cheesecake mixture on top of brownies, carefully spreading to over the brownie layer to the edge.
- Purée raspberries and sugar in a blender until smooth. Optional: strain the purée through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- Drop spoonfuls of remaining 1/4 cup brownie mix and raspberry purée around the cheesecake layer. Use a chopstick, knife, or toothpick to swirl the brownie mix and cheesecake together. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cheesecake is set in the middle and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.
- Let cool in the pan, then refrigerate for two hours before slicing.
Note: these need to be stored in the fridge due to the cheesecake component.