This easy weeknight dinner only dirties one cast iron skillet, perfect for those of us who love cooking but hate dishes. Organic chicken, crispy bacon, caramelized mushrooms, and fresh cilantro. What’s not to love? Be sure to bookmark this one!
Chicken, Mushroom, and Bacon Fajitas
1 pack organic chicken tenders (or chicken breasts cut into strips)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro (plus more for serving)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 pack mushrooms, cleaned with a damp paper towel and cut into quarters
4 strips bacon (I always use cherrywood smoked bacon)
1/4 cup quattro formaggio cheese, chihuahua cheese, or something similar
1 pack tortillas
Sour cream, avocado, salsa for serving
- Whisk together the juice from half a lemon, 3 Tbsp olive oil, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, garlic, chili powder, and salt. Place raw organic chicken tenders in sealable bag and pour marinade over chicken. Seal and make sure marinade thoroughly covers chicken. Let marinate at room temperature for an hour.
- Using sharp kitchen scissors, cut four strips of bacon into lardons. Cook in cast iron skillet over medium-low heat until crispy. Remove with slotted spoon and set on paper towel. Drain most of the bacon fat, leaving a tiny bit in the skillet.
- Cook chicken strips in cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, about 2-3 minutes per side. You may need to do this in batches. Wrap cooked chicken tenders in foil to stay juicy and warm while you cook the mushrooms.
- Reduce heat to low and cook mushrooms with a pinch of salt until dark. (Note: You should have enough bacon juice and oil from the marinade in the pan to cook the mushrooms. If not, add a bit of butter to the pan.)
- When mushrooms are cooked, place chicken tenders back in the skillet. Sprinkle with bacon and cheese. Allow cheese to melt, then remove from heat and top with cilantro.
- Serve in warm tortillas with sour cream, sliced avocado, and salsa.
Delicious paired with Spanish champagne. Enjoy!